Photo courtesy of Susan Blake.

The next featured Landmark home is the J.C. Ainsley House (No. 2) at 112 N. Second Street. This classic Queen Anne Victorian Style house was built before 1900. It once stood at the site of the Ainsley Cannery on N. Harrison Avenue. When the cannery needed to expand in 1919, the house was moved by a capstan arrangement using a horse for power to its current location. It was moved a block at time in this manner. It moved south on Harrison to Campbell Avenue then to Second Street. This was the Ainsley’s second home in Campbell. It became their son Gordon Ainsley’s home in 1924, when J.C. Ainsley’s third and final home was finished on the corner of Bascom and Hamilton Ave.

This house is defined by its projecting second story gables and extensive entrance porch on the first floor that wraps itself around the corner of the house. It is embellished with a few decorative elements such as its horizontal shiplap siding, French doors, brick chimney and symmetrical placing of windows. It is a fine example of the Queen Anne Style, showcasing good design, composition and craftsmanship, and it retains most all of its original materials and design features.

In 1964, Thomas and Audrey Tuttle purchased the house from Mrs. Alice Cowdrey, an active member of the Campbell Methodist Episcopal Church in Downtown Campbell.

At that time, four bedrooms on the second floor of the house had been transformed into a separate apartment with its own bath, kitchen and back stairs entry. The Tuttles were raising ten children and quickly returned the apartment to its original design. All of their children went on to graduate from Campbell High School. Now in her 90’s, Mrs. Tuttle still lives in this wonderful house.

Susan Blake, Campbell Historic Preservation Board.

Check out the archives for This Place Matters for more stories about Campbell's historic homes.

AFKgg Gamer Lounge's is Back!

Posted on August 22nd, 2019 by Lvl Up

AFKgg Gamer's Lounge that was formerly in Downtown San Jose is back as of this weekend! It's now AFKxp in Downtown Campbell and it's upstairs of LvL Up Arcade/Gastropub in the old "Gaslighter Theatre" building. It'll be the perfect pairing of a PC/Console gaming lounge upstairs with Coin-op gaming downstairs.

Saturday 8/24 is your first chance to check out the NEW #AFKxp location in Downtown Campbell!

4PM SF Shock Watch Party (all ages)
Tix http://bit.ly/2YZ2FS3
Info http://bit.ly/2NddM2y

7PM The International #TI9 Pubstomp/ DOTA2 Watch Party (18+)
Tix http://bit.ly/2MmakmG
Info http://bit.ly/2KQhAUB

More Info

One of the ways that Downtown Campbell gets to be a fun place of community and engagement is by attracting like minded people and businesses that want to contribute to the spirit and personality of Downtown Campbell. When The Olive Bar was sold we lost some cornerstones of the Downtown Campbell community, but the new owners wasted no time in getting involved in being a part of Downtown Campbell. Just in their second month, new owner Mike VanSant and crew hosted their first Downtown Campbell Business Association meeting. These meetings are where we get together and discuss issues affecting Downtown Campbell and coordinate upcoming events and activities like our Wine Walks, First Fridays, and many holiday events.

Welcome to Downtown Campbell Mike! It's good to see that you're getting a head start on authoring your own little chapter of the Downtown Campbell story.

More Info

This Place Matters: The E.R. Kennedy House

Posted on August 4th, 2019 by susanblake

Photo courtesy of Susan Blake.

The Historic Preservation Board’s fourth featured Landmark home is the E. R. Kennedy House at 61 Catalpa Lane. This part of Campbell is historically referred to as the Kennedy Tract and later the Four “Cs” Tract that includes Cherry, Catalpa, El Caminito and California Avenues west of Winchester Blvd. At the turn of the century, it was ranch land owned by Erle Russell and Bessie Kennedy.

This outstanding example of Spanish Colonial Revival style architecture was built in 1930, for Mr. and Mrs. Kennedy who fell in love with the style while on a visit to southern California. It features white washed stucco siding with red-tiled hipped roofs, a terra cotta chimney and a flagstone entry. The original home had three bedrooms upstairs and a formal living room, dining room, breakfast nook, kitchen and library downstairs, with one bathroom on each floor. In the 1960’s a family room/apartment was added on north side.

Inside, the doors, door frames, and trim along with wall inset drawers and storage, are all solid mahogany. The main entry features a mahogany parquet floor. Numerous old growth trees can be seen on the property, including a huge Buckeye in the back yard and a grove of five Redwoods in the front yard.

The Kennedys had this house built to replace their old ranch house on Winchester Road after deciding to start subdividing their land. Starting with the development of Cherry Lane, many of the Kennedy Tract homes were built from 1941 through 1949. Prior to development, El Caminto was part of Kennedy Avenue, so named for the family.

Mr. Kennedy was a local farmer and realtor and also president of the Campbell Water Company from 1914 to 1918. In the early days of the company, he was a bill collector who went door to door, carrying a leather pouch with change, to collect water payments from households. In 1908, for private households with five or less family members, the monthly rate was $1. Each additional person cost 15 cents.

Bessie Kennedy was an energetic and determined member of our city’s Country Woman’s Club, starting in 1912. She was a driving force and instrumental in getting the club’s goal of a real library built in our downtown. This historic library building was completed in 1923, and still stands at the southwest corner of First Street and East Campbell Avenue.

The Kennedys later owned and operated the Kennedy Water Company which served customers west of Winchester Boulevard to Hazel Ave. Erle and Bessie owned and operated their water company until 1946, when they sold it to the San Jose Water Company, another family-owned water supplier.

In 1960, the E.R. Kennedy House was purchased by Courtland Watson and Jeanette Gomes Watson. Jeanette Watson became the first female council member and first female mayor (1988) in the City of Campbell. She lived there until 2006.

The current owner purchased the home in 2006, and is raising two...Read More

Pages